Thursday, April 10, 2008

Under the heading of: "Are you Kidding me?"

Back story:

The space we use for band and other classes is at best small. Tiny and almost unusable for our purposes, is probably more accurate. Four years ago when we had to split the percussion we were told to send them upstairs to the choir room that was not being used. Fine, we did and 4 weeks in we were told by the choir teacher to stop using it and find a new place. Of course the administration that told us to go there in the first place said nothing but to us, "Deal with it." This completely screwed my lesson plan for the semester and had to start over but not before treading water for 3 weeks before things worked out. The next year we were up into a very nice area that worked well for our needs and all was well. After that year we were told once again that we were to use the choir room and it would be fine. Ok? So again we were dismissed, and again because transient. Special K teaches a class at the same time I do and it is hard for her to teach in the office while I teach a rather loud (by nature) class in the band room. The administration suggested using the choir room because it was not being used during that period. Before that got off the ground the choir teacher bitched and Special K teachers in the office and I in the band room not ideal but whatever. I still use the choir room for sectionals and Jazz band before school and during first because again I really have no place to go.


That brings us to today. When said choir director comes down to complain about the water on the floor. *sidebar* For those of you not in the know, instruments create a lot of condensation. Much like when you breathe on a window in the winter time. Well it's gotta go somewhere and most often the easiest and most convenient place is the floor. *end of sidebar* I told her that I had no way of controlling that. Brass players do it and sometimes it leaks beyond their control so it is what it is. My favorite moment came when she explained to me that spit in the 60's and 70's is not like the spit today. (Huh???) She purposed that only woodwinds go up there to rehearse. (remember she has already kicked out percussion.) I said that jazz band cannot rehearse without brass. She kept reiterating she didn't want spit on the floor. My solution, granted said in a terse and frustrated way, was that we would no longer rehearse up there and I wouldn't take any group up there again. She got huffy and walked off.

I mean seriously I am so done with this women. Every time she has kicked us out for whatever reason she has come to me to ask for a favor. I really don't know where she gets the gall. It would be different if she had classes in that room every period of the day but out of 8 she has 4, where as we have multiple classes at once in our space and at least on class every period of the day.

Grrrrrrr, I want to push her down a flight of stairs.

This rant has been brought to you by the letters F and U.

No comments: