Friday, January 29, 2010

Friday, with a short review.

In the news today... I swear I should just stop trying to be informed because I find the more I read the less informed I become. Really my problem is that I always look at the headlines Yahoo provides and that should be my first clue to move to another site. But you know how it is, you have a routine in the mornings and mine involves checking my mail and since mine is a yahoo account I get the yahoo news on my opening page. And sometimes it's the titles alone that make me roll my eyes and want to go back to bed. I probably shouldn't say this next thing because really it will just feed into the problem as is but here I go. The top news story on my list was not anything about the State of the Union, nothing about Howard Zinn dieing or J.D. Salinger or even Zelda Rubenstein going toward the light. But it was "John Voight weighs in on the Brangelina break up 'nonsense'".

Really!?

That is all I am going to say about that.

I do want to say so sad about J.D. Salinger. Of course I really thought he was dead already. But you know still sad. One of my favorite books is "The Catcher in the Rye". I never had to read it in high school it was never on any of our required reading lists but I got a copy in college and loved it. Talk about angsty teenager, Holden Caulfield was it. It's funny to think it has become cliche, with how much J.D. Salinger himself shunned the spotlight and popularity and his most famous character seemed to scoff at such "success" as well. I think all males should go through that kind of brooding stage in their lives, I think most of us did. Some were better at hiding it but I really think deep down we all were a little bit like Holden, wanting to be done with adolescence and the hoops we were made to jump through. At the same time not wanting to be thought of as adult or even worse being an adult. Caulfield embodies so well that one point in our lives that for a brief moment we escape the bonds of childhood but before we are put into the confines of adulthood. It's like when a prisoner is taken from one cell before being put into another. For a moment you get to stand up, stretch, see the sky and take a full breathe of fresh air before being shoved back into a box. "The Catcher in the Rye" is one of the only books where I am pleased and happy to not know what happens next. I feel I would be just like Holden disappointed with the future of this character. I don't remember exactly but he ends the book by saying he was asked what he plans to do next year at school and he says how does anyone know what they are going to do til they do it, that is a stupid question. And man is it ever.

No comments: