Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Up the Hill Down the Hill

Because in 5 days time the Band will be marching in a parade, we have been spending much of this week outside and marching around the parking lots. The road that leads to the school is a winding and up hill, which makes it ideal for the parade prep. At the end of the parade is up hill, which sucks because you have been marching and playing for 2.5 miles and have to finish up hill. Thank god we will be in the land of Guinness, not for them for me. :)

Because this is ideal and also the only road into campus someone had to be at the bottom of the hill to divert traffic or hold it. And guess who that was? Yep it was me. It was fun. I actually didn't mind it people were a lot more pleasant about it than I thought. Of course Special K didn't stick to the plan which meant much of what I was telling people to do was false. Way to stick with a plan. Not surprised more just stating facts at this point. The funniest thing was the sheer number of students driving in 5,10, 15, 30 minutes late to school. I understand adults and teachers who don't have first period because the fuck if I would show up if I didn't have to. Also the number of Band students who drove up rolled down their windows and immediately started giving me excuses.

What really struck me was that Special K was, I think, afraid to go down and do this. Not because you could get struck by a car, and I almost did, but because she would have to tell people something they don't want to hear. I love it when you see that look on their face that they are inconvenienced, priceless. I also loved the woman that saw me clearly stopping cars and talking to each driver and then she started to whip around me and the other car like I wasn't there (yea she was the car that almost struck me) and when I started yelling for her to stop and I caught up with her she had a pissed off look on her face. And yes that was a parent, whatever I am here to make sure jackasses like yourself miss don't kill the band geeks. Yes I enjoyed it but Special K just is afraid of people even when she is right. Which I believe is why she is such an ineffective teacher, but I could be wrong.

No comments: