Sunday, February 4, 2007

Not ready to be a homeowner yet


While attempting to be motivated and get things done around the house I discovered that I am not ready to own a place myself. I say this and let me just state I am not the handiest man in the world but I would like to think I can hold my own with the average man in the world (it helps that many places in the world have neither electricity nor running water). With that said, I was trying to do laundry when I discovered my washer wasn't wanting to cycle. First thought "mother fucking piece of shit" next thought "I so don't have time to fix this." Finally I started tinkering around and thought really the only thing is the water is getting into the machine so I turn on my sink in the basement next to the washer and dryer and nothing. No water. My first thought was did I miss a water bill and they turned off my water. I grab the most recent water bill and *sigh* not due till the 11th and no disconnect notice and bonus wow the bill was only $15!

Next thought, is it like this all over the house and wait, oh shit, can I shower??????!!!?? My friends and students will be happy to know that yes all other faucets in the house are working just fine. I can still take a shower. Again sigh of relief, so I am not really sure what is going on. It seems strange to me that the pipes in the basement would freeze and only localize themselves to stopping water flow to one place in the house. But alas I am not worried one call to my landlords and they will send a handyman to my doorstep to check it out. And this ladies and gentlemen is why I am glad I do not own. That and the blinding poverty that I find myself in, but that is neither here nor there. I am sure if I did own I would get the Time Life series on plumbing and take a stab at it. And then call a professional. Who knows maybe I would figure it out. I have been know to be able to do small jobs around the house and not burn down or make things worse.

Sidebar, Superbowl today and it is hometown favorites Colts verses another place I wouldn't mind calling home, the Chicago Bears. I actually remember the first super bowl I actually paid attention to was the Bears and the Patriots the last time the Bears were in it. Now I don't follow the Volleyball myself, but I am a sucker for hometown pride. Plus any excuse to drink and eat foods that could kill an elephant I am all for. Plus FN promised if we win we will go downtown to join the riots and flip an Indygo bus and set it on fire. If you see me on the news I will need bail money. GO COLTS!!!!!!!

No comments: