Sunday, October 24, 2004

Just Starting

First I would like to say I am not drunk. It just struck me as funny. So this is blogging? Well it will at least get me to writing whether anyone ever sees this or not. I think it will be good for me in one way or another.

So if this entry is a little disjointed I am sorry. I am writing while at work so I have to go teach a class now and then or in the case of what I just came from watch a hall and tell kids to tuck in their shirts. While I understand the "need" for a dress code and uniform I can also see why it is just a pain in the ass for the students as well as the teachers. Yes the argument that we want them to feel no pressure to have the right clothes and all of that and it keeps kids from wearing inappropriate clothing choices. But really these are the same kids who some drive a beamer to school while I drive a 97 mercury tracer. I think these kids are aware of the haves and the have nots. Plus if we don't let them express somewhat in their dress, the question then becomes how will they express themselves. The really funny thing is that I was walking behind some kids and another teacher yelled at those kids for having a shirt untucked. More detentions are given out for dresscode violations than anything else. They have actually sent kids home for not having the correct Khaki pants. Not for wearing jeans or shorts but for the "wrong" Khakis. Does that seem odd to anyone else.

Maybe I am a bad teacher because I have such a lax attitude toward the dress code, and toward some classroom behavior. I try to make it very relaxed in the sense that questions and mistakes are as acceptable as studious note taking and only right answers. Now getting into the groove of understanding the appropriateness of when it's time to work and play does take some time, but once established I don't find it a problem. Then again my tolerance of so much is high. I really become a stickler when it comes to rehearsal edicate.

Ok well that is probably enough for today.

Book of the day: "Tao Te Ching" Lao Tzu

Music of the moment Ben Folds "Rockin' the Suburbs"

No comments: