Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Musicals, Musicals, Musicals


Actually only the two musicals but saying it three times has a better effect. So Musical time has once again crept up on me. It's so funny the fact that I don't really care for musicals that I 1. know a great deal about them and 2. love playing in the pits. Really it's the only time that I really feel challenged by playing. The big gay band is fine but even on a secondary instrument I don't feel challenged, so this is nice.

This year for our schools selection we have Fiddler on the Roof. Yes a catholic school doing a musical about Jews. I love it personally and watching some of these high school boys trying to grow beards(instead of dating them) is quite humorous. I just got moved today from Trombone to 2nd Trumpet. One of my best friends will be out of the country getting his adopted son so he won't be playing trumpet but he usually does. I am excited I don't think I have ever played trumpet for anything other than pep band games.

I am also playing for the another private schools Musical this year "Guys and Dolls". Again not one of my favorite musicals. Much like operas the plots are pretty thin or just plain bad. Sometimes though you can have really good music. Example, "Anything Goes" awful plot and dialogue but the music is fantastic. Or you can have oh I don't know let's say "Suesical the (craptastic) Musical" terrible music and plot. The one really great thing about my schools pit is that it is under the stage and no one sees you so you can pretty much do whatever between songs. Like snort a line of coke. But for the other schoolwe will be out there for all the world to see.

Overall I really hate musicals but every once in awhile I really like one but that is so rare. I would much rather pick and choose music that I like and never really see the productions.

Bad gay man, bad!

No comments: