Thursday, September 4, 2008

I do not teach fluff

Just for the record, music if taught correctly is not a just mindless fun it is a serious academic pursuit. For all those nay sayers out there I say I can take Calculus and get an A faster than some people could take Music Theory and get an A. I had a student today ask if theory was a year long course. I said only if you take theory 2 which is offered next semester. He then said he may take drawing. I rolled my eyes. I hate when students, parents and faculty assume because it has "music" in the title it's easy. I got news for you, it's damned hard. As this students grade reflects. They are shocked by the fact that they need to study and that you can't just coast. I am just doing theory 1 I am not even getting into hard stuff. This is basic foundations of music. I had one of the Vice Principles tell me that some of the students are saying that my music theory class is the hardest class they have. I said good. He looked at me and asked, "It's just music how hard can it be." I swear I would never think to say that to any other faculty member. The closest I would ever come is saying "I found History to be easy but then again I loved History." the fact he said that just emphisizes how little he regards what I do. Or how ignorant he really is.

No comments: