Tuesday, September 2, 2008

V.P. Choice

I have to say I was kind of excited to see what the Republicans would come up with in the way of a VP pick. Not excited in the "I think it will be a progressive and great choice." No, more in the vain of excited for the cluster F*&k I have come to admire in the Republican party this election cycle. Boy they didn't disappoint. First let's talk about picking a woman because the Dems didn't. Oh my god I could think of several more qualified, respected and formidable women candidates. If I were Elizabeth Dole, Condi Rice, Christine Todd Whitman or Olympia Snowe I would go up to every man in the McCain Camp and kick them in the balls. Now I understand that there are problems with many of them most of which they are pretty liberal for Republicans, but let's talk about better choices. Do we really want a half term Gov/former mayor of 9,000/beauty queen from Alaska to be a Hardee's thickburger away from running this country. I haven't even gotten into her politics yet. This is a woman who in the election for Govenor was for the Bridge to Nowhere that was ridiculed but Reps and Dems alike on the Hill and then when became Governor said she didn't have a grasp of the budgeting aspect before winning to know that it was a bad plan. Honestly I want my candidates to have a grasp of anything that has to do with the job they are running for. Winging it is not something I want from an elected official. Especially when we are talking national defense or the deficit. Winging it is fine for the front line at McDonalds.



Ok so here we go. She is a feminist I will agree, I being a male feminist would say that feminism is about making choices, not having them made for you. If she wants to have kids great, if she wants to work great, if she wants to believe that even if your 12 yo daughter is raped and pregnant and carrying the child to term could cause serious damage to said 12 yo, that she should keep it. I think is a bit nuts but whatever, your choice. But seriously should we make her 17 yo daughter get married just so the child isn't a "bastard" a bit much. I have known people who do that and end up divorced down the road. I also know people who didn't marry while in high school and wait for both to be in a better place to get married, that may take years but it puts so much less pressure on the marriage and the kid. All that aside, because that just makes her a creepy woman and not someone I would be friends with but doesn't necessarily impact my voting.

I will tell you what does. Her stance on woman's rights to choose. Her stance on health care in this country. As a woman and a feminist I would think she would want as much access to health care for women. Women utilize or should utilize more of the health care system. Look at it this way. We all get sick, given so that is a wash on usage. However we all can't get pregnant. Only roughly 51% of the population can achieve that. So that means all the prenatal visits and health care for mother and unborn. Also the delivery and post delivery care. Wouldn't it be less of a drain on the system if woman had freer access to Dr.s before they give birth and have complications because of poor nutrition or something an ultra sound could catch. Enough about that. She also opposes siting the polar bear as endangered because of climate change effecting it's feeding grounds. She supports drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. She vetoed a bill passed by the Alaska state legislator on Nondiscrimination because it had a section including homosexuals.

I could go on but really this is not who I want in the white house. Maybe some people do and that is fine for them. But I am probably not going to be invited to their parties.

No comments: