Friday, September 5, 2008

On Substitute Teaching

First let me clarify that subbing can be easy money. It can also be a big pain in the ass, for much the same reason it's easy money. You don't do much of anything. Example, today I was subbing for a US history class. The teacher is *shock* a football coach. The football team had to leave early because their game is 2.5 hours away. So they had to leave before the end of the day. Anyway in typical fashion I show up for the teacher, who has no idea who I am, to tell me to have them do these work sheets in groups and then give them a homework assignment due Monday. Ok? anything else? Nope, great! I am on board with this. However it is 48 minutes of sitting and doing nothing. I have already checked my mail several times and it's almost the weekend so I am not starting any new projects so there I am staring at the students who in turn are staring at me. The clocks in this particular building are never right and the kids try to get me to let them go early. I just throw them a look that suggests I know they are full of shit without saying it. I just gently remind them that they have to wait for the bell to ring and then they are free to go. What I really want to say is "look I don't want to be here either I usually have 8th period free."

The pay for subbing isn't great but then again I am just baby sitting. I say when you as a teacher are not there for the class the room just fills with a knock out gas that lasts roughly 45 minutes. That way they have a few minutes to gain their barrings before heading to their next class. I think this and the shock collars are the best ideas for secondary education ever.

1 comment:

Suellen said...

Shock collars would be awesome!!!!!!