Thursday, October 16, 2008

So very bored

So yesterday the students took the PSAT and I had to proctor one of the classrooms and let me tell that is just more fun the a big box of black death. It's just super boring at least the kids had a test to kill the time I just had to sit there. Of course I spent the time grading quizzes and whatnot but that can only take up so much time. So it became boring really fast.

Speaking of boring after the testing we had a professional development day. This one involved diversity. I feel we as teachers do a good job diversifying our curriculum to reflect a diverse world. I mean I understand when you are teaching English Lit you can only get so diversified. But over all I think we do a good job. I also feel we make every class as inclusive as possible. I know my classes are pretty well rounded and I would like to think that each of those kids feel like they are getting the attention they need. So I ask if we are doing that and have a person whose job title is Director of Diversification and she has a committee of faculty members and a club on campus for it. Why are we doing this again? I don't know. I am all for diversity and it's important to be aware but 3 hours and 15 minutes aware.

You know what I became aware of? The texting feature on my phone. I started off just sending to my friends but then moved on to other teachers several tables away and then the teachers at my table. I am serious when I say teachers make the worst students. I of course sat in the back of the room and talked, texted, played tick-tack-toe, hangman and was in general a nuisance. The only time we as a table shut up was when the speaker moved about the room and he came back to our table. I know that look and I know that move I used it that morning while the kids took the PSAT. I say this is what makes me a great teacher. Why is that you ask, because I know all the signs and all the tricks. Like I told the kids "You can't fool me because I have done it and I did it better."

So here is just a bit of a text conversation I had with a teacher sitting right next to me.

Her: How do we get out of this?
Me: Well we could come up with a phony excuse.
Her: Better yet why don't you stab yourself and I can help you to the hospital.
Me: Umm I don't like that plan.
Her: Well you can stab yourself in a place that won't cause much damage just a flesh wound. We need to see blood.
Me: Ummm still not liking it. How about an aneurysm. It's internal they couldn't tell.
Her: I think they need to see blood.
Me: I am allergic to pain.
Her: I think you are chicken do you want to get out of this or not.
Her: Is the guy standing behind me?*
Me: Yes*
* I made the last 2 lines up. But I thought it made it funnier.

1 comment:

Hols said...

See, I tell my students this all the time. Don't give me your bullshit reasons for not turning in your paper, just tell me you didn't do it and we'll move on. They always seem genuinely that I call them on their shit. And the best thing about college? I can yell, "Shut up and just sit the fuck back down. Now."