Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Thank god for Athena

So a few months ago my TV died. It was sad and awful and I thought to myself. This is a perfect opportunity to ween myself from the idiot box altogether. Yes well like a trapped animal I want to gnaw my foot off and get a new tv. Well with money being tight and the offer from Athena to borrow one of her many TV's I broke down and am joining the rest of the world (well at least the developed world) in front of the boob tube. Yes I know I can watch most of the shows I like on line. But really I am doing this because I have found myself tethered to my computer too much. There is a sort of freedom of putting the TV on and doing house work while it plays in the back ground. The computer demands much more of my time and focus. Even when it's the mindless focus of playing Mahjong online. It will also be nice to put my DVD player back to work. Plus the laptop gets really warm sitting on my stomach watching movies.

So yes I have caved but it's ok. I know that I can put the remote down from time to time and do real things. As much as I hate the news sometimes, I miss watching it. I read it yes, I hear it on NPR yes but Anderson Cooper is so dreamy. Mmmmmmm Anderson Cooper.

Wait where was I. Ah yes TV Several shows still hold my attention and I would like to be able to watch them when they appear and not have conversations like this. "If it's about last night's episode of Hero's I don't want to know I haven't seen it yet." Followed by my fingers in my ears yelling "LALALALALALALALALALALALALAICAN'THEARYOULALALALALALA" It's just a bit childish and the people in the restaurant look at you funny.

So yes I still read books, yes I still have gym membership (no I haven't been going) and yes I can still hold a conversation. The only difference is that conversation is about "Lost".

1 comment:

Aleea said...

The TV is in the car, awaiting disposition to your home :)