Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The things from college I miss.

Today I was looking over the list of music for All-State band. The one that jumped out at me was "Fantasies on a Theme by Haydn" by Norman Dello Joio. I heart this piece in a big way, it was part of the best year I ever had musically at my University. Not to say the other years were bad but looking back we played so much great music in that one year. To look at the concert listing it was like the list of Band classics.

My other years were great but for several different reasons. It was my freshman year and I couldn't think of a better time to just get sucked into really great music.

The sad thing is that I haven't had that level of emersion since then. I teach music yes but I am not surrounding myself with what I would call the best the music world has to offer. I recently have just been craving the ability to sit in the middle of music. I miss being in an ensemble. Listening is one thing but to be there in the middle of it all, I can't think of anything better. When you hit that moment when all the parts come together in perfect intonation and it's a great chord to begin with... It's the closest thing I have ever come to a religious experience. If there is a god this is what that god wants us all to experience. A moment of complete contentment and a rush of excitment, that burning in your chest as you are hit by a wave of sound so wonderful you want to cry, laugh and shiver all at once. If ever I could get back to those moments.... It may also be that part of my life is over. But it is something that if I can make happen I will.

Ah good music.

1 comment:

Mom said...

I hope one day you find your "moment of contentment". I am sure you will.