Saturday, February 13, 2010

Romeo & Juliet? Who the F wants that?

As I was leaving work yesterday I heard music playing. All I caught were the lyrics that stated "We are just like Romeo and Juliet."And I have to ask myself did the person who wrote those lyrics ever read Romeo and Juliet? Because really who would ever want their relationship to be like that. In the end they off themselves, I'm sorry, passed themselves away. They were really just stupidly over dramatic teenagers. I myself would first of all would never want to be compared with that. Who wants to be a teenager and really that whole situation was just ridiculous. If I wanted my relationship to mimic any Shakespearean couple I would probably go with Benedick and Beatrice. Clearly they were intellectual equals. They fought constantly but when it came down to it they really loved one another. When I was a theatre major, for the briefest of semesters my acting teachers said that the strongest choices or emotions you could make were to hate or love. I do believe that. Those we love are also the ones that can frustrate and anger us the most. I would rather someone who can insult me than someone who just goes gooey eyed every moment. Someone who can match my cynicism, bitterness and sarcastic nature would be awesome. Plus I doubt that person would kill themselves over me, because I certainly wouldn't. I may kill them but that is completely different.

No comments: