Thursday, September 13, 2007

Busking

As I was walking to the gym I noticed a man sitting outside a café playing a guitar. I chuckled to myself thinking "What would people do if I just started practicing my music outside a café?" Most likely they may ask me to stop or throw money in my case depending on which instrument I was choosing to practice. It got me to thinking you see people playing guitar, saxophone or hitting a drum or bucket. But really that is all that is common, you don't see flute players, Tuba players, cellists or my favorite image a harpist. Granted if you could afford a harp you wouldn't be out on the street playing for change. That made me think, is it because people who play other instruments smart enough to choose a sensible career. Or are the more talented actually doing something with their music. After having heard my fair share of on street sax playing and admittedly I did tell a guy he needed a newer reed or a harder one (why the guy didn't deck me I will never know), they really are not that good. I am not great by any stretch of the imagination but I have more of a shot making a life for myself by just playing then most of these people. I really think it comes down to the personalities of the people play those instruments. If you have ever been in band you know what I mean. Just think about the guys that play drums you can totally see them on the streets someday. An oboe player is just far too sensible to try something like that. They are also usually too frail to spend a lot of time on the streets. I think about how it would throw people for a crumhorn consort to be sitting on a street corner. Ok that just makes me chuckle.

No comments: