Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Am I wrong?

Maybe I am way off base here but I have been and am still chatting with a fellow teacher at school. He also happens to be gay. He apparently had an inccedent with a student that "sexually harrassed" him last year. He apparently had been having conversations with this student about the student dating a 33 year old man. And when he told the student he shouldn't be that is when things go weird. Of course the teacher outed himself to the student. My take on the whole thing was I don't see how my personal life gay or straight has anything to do with teaching. I also said that when faced with that kind of situation that I would refer them to someone else. He asked who? I said oh I don't know someone with counseling skills and experience. He said the kid wouldn't go anywhere else because he thinks the kid had a thing for him. And I said and that is why I would have taken myself out of the situation. He disagreed. He also disagreed that me being gay had nothing to do with my teaching. What?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!

Seriously, how... how I say do I need to talk about my personal life when teaching. If I were teaching a course on how to date freaky homos sure I could see that but that wasn't in the course guide last I saw. So am I wrong in thinking, as well intentioned this guy is that I will see him on the news someday.

No comments: