Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Happy genocide day

I hope everyone enjoyed their day of genocide also known as Columbus Day. I like to look at it in the good light of human curiosity. Exploration may not have been the initial reason, all things are economically motivated, but that is what occurred when Columbus and many other fortune hunts found the continents in the western hemisphere. I also know that many of those natives were slaughtered and many died of unexpected disease. But… where was I going with this oh yes without all of that I might not have become friends with great person. Yes I was reminded yesterday that we became friends after I overheard her conversation about celebrating Columbus Day by putting three ships in her front lawn. I knew I must have this person as a friend. Columbus Day is one of those weird holidays that people don't like to recognize too much and are ashamed of liking because it does draw up images of small pox and land grabbing and countless slaughtered men, women, and children from sea to shining sea. Really makes you proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free. Yes as a white male age 25-40 I am probably freer than most people. And now I am one of those who are insured and not leaching off good tax paying god fearing Americans like me. Well actually not like me I don't go in for that whole god fearing thing. I also don't think those without coverage are necessarily leaching off anyone. They have a rough sitch I should know I was one of them. I have spent more of my life without a safety net than with one. My parents were self employed and couldn't afford it and I had a job that offered it for 2 years and now this job so like 30 years without kind of a long time. But back to Columbus Day, it's hard to say I like where I live and how I live without being reminded of all those people that lost so much. I also have to look at it realistically, I didn't do it, there is no way for me to change history and so I just do the best I can to make life better for as many people as possible and go from there. So sad day for ancient cultures but I got a great friend out of it.And really isn't that what Columbus was trying to discover, a friend for me. :)

No comments: