Sunday, July 22, 2007

Strange night


Made stranger by the light of day. So Last night I was drug to one of my least favorite bars in the city. It's not the scenery that makes it so unappealing, though the place is a bit of a dive. It's not the cliental, though I feel very pretty after having been there. It's mostly the weak drinks and the bad country music karaoke. If you know me then you know how much love I have for country. And the drag is pretty bad. Not to say there is usually good drag anywhere, there are just degrees. Much like the levels of hell some are not as bad as others but, you are still in hell.

Truth be told of this place is that I have never been harassed by any of the people there. Though we may not share the same taste in music or dental hygiene they are nice enough people.

With all that said I was talked into going because one of the performers was retiring from being a drag queen. Does anyone ever really retire?? Anyway there were a few things that just kind of catch your attention and you are not really sure what to make of it. Example one this drag queen, who is on the conservative side 70 years old, had her son present and his wife and their daughter, you the drag queens granddaughter. Ya wrap your head around that. She kind of looks like the Heat Miser, from "A Year without Santa Clause" So that makes it better.

The other fun part was the random, I assume it was, drag queen sitting next to us with a peacock feathered masquerade mask covering her face. The funny part, right like that wouldn't be enough, she kept pulling out this giant hand mirror to check the mask and her lipstick. Not a compact, a hand mirror like the ones stylists use to show the back of your head to you.

Now this whole thing became stranger today when I went to the band picnic and one of my parents started telling me about her neighbor Miss Rikki and that she was this old retired military man who did drag but everyone called Miss Rikki and the only man that could kiss her husband and he wasn't going to deck. I laughed to myself for this is the same person we went the night before to see retire.

What a bizarre, twisted and small world.

No comments: