Sunday, January 27, 2008

To be so well spoken at that age.

I was marveled today. The school I work for interviews every student before they are admitted. So three Sundays in the month of January some of the faculty volunteer to do interviews. I enjoy it and I do get a small stipend for it. They are usually tedious and the kids usually offer one word answers to everything. But really what do you expect from 13 and 14 year olds.

Today however I had probably the best interview. He was so well spoken and was very articulate in the way he answered. I really had it figured out about 8 minutes into the interview that I wanted to recommend this kid. However you keep going because it wigs out the parents when you cut things short. So I asked a lot of questions and he continued to answer well. Then I closed with my usual last question and boy did he nail it. I asked what he thought of this whole interview process, application, essay and testing. He looked at me and said, "Well I think it's real good because I am going to have to do this all again for college and this is good practice and also for a job someday." Then he said the best thing "And if kids go through this then they must really want to come here and work hard and get good grades and who wouldn't want to do that."

I don't have the heart to tell him that isn't necessarily true. So many of our kids get in because they are a legacy and we almost always let them in no matter the quality of students and then you have some that have the money and so many of those kids do not realize or appreciate the opportunity they are getting. So many outside of the school think this is a wonderland of well behaved and studious kids. So not true. They are just as disruptive and ill behaved as any public school. In a way these families are being sold a bill of goods.

Don't get me wrong we do a lot of good work and the good kids do out number the bad ones but to think there is nothing but good will be a shock to the system.

No comments: