Saturday, August 2, 2008

I feel old.

There are many reasons I feel old the biggest one is how sore I feel. I know most of it is all the standing, marching around and walking I did this week. That and the fact I was on the elliptical trainer almost everyday. The feeling of old because of soreness I can explain away but what I can't explain away is the youth of most of the staff this year. In the past we may of had one or two young people but this year we had several. The age gap was tremendous, 4 were in their mid 50's, me and the guard instructor were 32 and 28 respectively but the other 4 were 20-22, still in college or just graduated. I couldn't help but think is this what I was like at that age. So much of what came out of their mouths were things I remember saying. I remember when I started doing camps I was in college and had actually never been in or worked with a competition band. It was all very strange to me, it still is. But watching them and listening to them it just feels so long ago. I feel like I have been doing this forever. I kind of have been it feels longer than it really is. 20 some camps over 12 years. Teaching everything from guard to low brass. I am curious as to how those kids who did our camp this week view me, do I effect them the same way other band directors effected them. Is it a positive impact or a negative one. Something to think about.

No comments: